CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 11, 2008

Want To Save Some Money?

I have spent a lot of time looking into simple changes that I could make around that house to save us a couple of bucks. I have found 3 that I wanted to share.

1. Make your own wipes!

½ Roll Bounty White Paper Towels
2 Cups Water
1 Tablespoon Baby Oil
2 Tablespoons Baby Shampoo/Wash

This is so easy and they really do work FABULOUS! First thing you will need is an airtight container that can hold ½ a roll of paper towels. Cut the roll of paper towels across the width. In your container pour the ingredients and stir until well blended. Place the paper towels in and close lid. Wait 10 -15 minutes and turn container upside down. Let absorb another 10 -15 minutes. They are done once all of the liquid is absorbed into the towels. Open your container and pull the cardboard roll out and tug the center towel out. Now your wipes will pull from the center to simplify use.

2. Make your own popcorn!

Popcorn is my favorite snack, and I have saved quite a bit of money making mine at home. It is fresh, yummy, and does not have all the junk that microwavable popcorn contains.

Kettle Corn
1/3 Cup Popcorn Kernels
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt

(Not my pic, borrowed from a google search)
This recipe is delicious! Get out your big pot, the one you use for spaghetti and such. Place oil and 1 kernel of popcorn into your pot, cover and turn heat up to med-high heat. Once the kernel pops remove the lid and pour in your kernels. Leave the lid off and when the kernels are about to pop pour your sugar over the top. You will know because it will start to smell like popcorn and turn white. Immediately cover and gently shake. Once the popping slows and almost stops remove from heat. Immediately pour into a bowl and sprinkle the salt over the top, mix together well. This treat is yummy! And very fast, takes as much time as microwave popping. You will not want to go back.

3. Make your own cleaner!

Vinegar
Water
Baking Soda
So I posted about this earlier and said that once I tried out the recipes I would let you know what I liked the best.

Surface Cleaner:
In a spray bottle mix equal parts vinegar and water, THAT’S IT! If you have a spot that tough sprinkle baking soda on it, spray down and wipe off. It works for glass as well.

Toilets/Tubs:
I wet down the tub with water, shake in some baking soda. Then I soak a cloth in vinegar and scrub. Soap scum and grime come off almost effortlessly.

For the toilet I flush and sprinkle sides with 1 cup baking soda. I scrub with the brush and flush again. Then I pour in the vinegar and scrub and let it sit until the next use, or until I leave the bathroom. (Be careful to not pour in the baking soda and vinegar at the same time or you will have a mess)

*** A friend of mine suggests adding a couple of drops of essential oils to your cleaning solution to give a pleasant fragrance. I have not tried this yet, but I will get around to it. Also, if you are put off by the aroma of vinegar know that it disappears as soon as the area dries (almost immediately).

0 comments:

Post a Comment