CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 29, 2009

Portrait of A Woman Used by God

Welcome to the next chapter of the book study. I'll be honest, I have just been pouring over this book. While the kids are napping I have found rest in the Lord by gleaning from the wisdom of the authors. This chapter was amazing, it examines the life and willing heart of Mary of Nazareth. I had never studied the life of Jesus' mother and learned so much about her faith and character.

This chapter points out that Mary was:

1. Ordinary

2. Pure

3. Undeserving

4. Chosen

5. Spirit-filled

6. Available

7. Believing

8. Praising

9. Devoted to the Word

10. Reflective

11. Humble

12. Trusting

13. Submissive

14. Influential

15. Praying

16. Devoted

17. Loved

and

18. Wounded


Two of the attributes credited to Mary that I wish to cultivate more in my own life (not that I don't desire God to develop them all in me) are a devotion to the word and reflective spirit. While so many of the passages of this chapter cut straight to my heart these few really spoke to me.

"The world does not need to hear our opinions." (My emphasis added) p.73

"God didn't intend for pastors to be the only one who point people to the Word. Each of us should be able to use the Word effectively, not only in our worship and our own walk, but also in ministering to the needs of others." p.73

"If we are going to be instruments of His grace who reflect His light into the darkness around us, we must take time to be quiet--to be still-- to ponder and reflect on who god is and what He is doing around and in us." p.74

Discussion and Food for Thought:
1. Did this chapter teach you anything new about Mary that you did not know before?

2. Which attribute do most desire to see in your own life?

3. Do you give your opinion when asked for advice or point to the Word of God?

1 comments:

challmeyeralways

Wow, this sounds like an amazing book. What is the name of it?

Post a Comment