CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

FEMININITY: Developing a Biblical perspective

Welcome as we dive into Biblical Womanhood in the Home. I would like to open with John Greenleaf Whittier's prayer that Nancy included at the end of the introduction:

"Dear Lord and Father of mankind,
Forgive our foolish ways!
Reclothe us in our rightful mind;
In purer lives Thy service find,
In deeper reverence, praise.

In simple trust like theirs who heard,
Beside the Syrian sea,
The gracious calling of the Lord,
Let us, like them, without a word,
Rise up and follow Thee.

Drop Thy still dews of quietness
Till all our strivings cease.
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of Thy peace."

The first section of this book introduces us to God's design for women and begins in Chapter 1 with Femininity. We were designed to be feminine by no accident. God had a beautiful purpose and design for us. Carolyn Mahaney (the author of ch.1 ) says, "The important point here [referring to Genesis 1:27, 2:21-22] is that God created us, and being the creation of God determines everything for us as women. We don't look to our culture to find our feminine identity; we don't consult our feelings to discover our purpose. Everything that we are and everything that we do must be rooted in God." (p.23) This is an important revelation in understanding God's design for women. Many things in this book are EXTREMELY counter-cultural, and even so within the church at times. I have learned that where I initially feel opposition to what I am learning about biblical womanhood, more often than not I am walking in disobedience in that area.

Part of our feminine design is to be a helper to our husbands, and if single then in other relationships in our lives. We are to come along side of our husbands in order to help them live out their God given calling. I thought that the passage by Author Douglas Wilson gave wonderful insight into this:

"The man needs the help; the woman needs to help. Marriage was created by God to provide a companionship in the labor of dominion. The cultural mandate, the requirement to fill and subdue the earth, is still in force, and a husband cannot fulfill this portion of the task in isolation. He needs a companion suitable for him in the work to which God has called him. He is called to the work and must receive help from her. She is called to the work through ministering to him. He is oriented to the task, and she is oriented to him." (p.25)

We are also designed for motherhood. I LOVED this passage:

"As women, we are created to be life-bearers. Our bodies have been designed with the ability to mother—to receive, carry, and bear young. In fact, our bodies prepare themselves repeatedly to conceive and bear young. We express our femininity by gratefully embracing every stage of child-bearing, receiving and nurturing each child as a gracious gift from God."

Sometimes mothering becomes a burden instead of a joy, which Carolyn addressed in the text, and it is true for all of us at times I am sure.

The final part of our femininity addressed in this chapter is cultivating a love for our home. "Domesticity –devotion to the quality of home life—is an essential facet of femininity." Being good and skilled keepers of our home is in fact just another way of loving our husbands and nurturing our children. It is our job to feed, clothe and care for them in an environment that allows them to feel safe and loved. Home should be their safe haven from the chaotic world.

Loving service to our husbands and children is the perfect way to emulate Christ and live out God's plan for our lives. So often as women we get carried away with ministry, friendships, and other things that call us away from our home. Our home is where we are most vital and where we are called to be. We tend to be kinder and more patient with friends and strangers than we are with the people who we share our lives with. Are we truthfully and wholeheartedly following God's commands if aren't purposefully living out our design with those closest to us? Through our servant's heart and peaceful spirit, our husbands and children should be able to see a brilliant reflection of Christ in us.

Does God command us to abandon passions for other Godly pursuits, no! - but we are wisely cautioned against allowing these things to interfere with what matters most. Our femininity is found in our God given purpose to encourage, care for, and support our husbands, to love and nurture our children, and to keep our homes (Proverbs 31, Titus 2:3-5).

What did you think? Was there anything that particularly spoke to your heart? Please feel free to share your thoughts and commentaries below and engage in discussion.

3 comments:

shalana

Thanks for this study! I am a little behind and just read ch. 1 yesterday. Here are the main things that encouraged and challenged me:
1. Before pursuing some endeavor or committing to something ask, "Does this help my husband?"
She also has a lot of other questions in that same section that are along the same lines.
2. Remember my calling. God called me to be a mother.
3. Get weekly time away to recharge. (Such as a morning out.) Got to talk with DH about this and see if we can work this into schedule--even if it is only every few weeks or once a month I know it will help me just to go sit at a coffee shop by myself for an hour.
4. Love for the home
This section was probably the biggest place I was convicted. I spent most of my single years rarely at home. I was at work and then home to change and head out. I pretty much just slept there and occassionaly ate there or had people over. I spend alot more time at home now but it is not what I want it to be. I've used the excuse of moving all the time, having small children, limited budget that I haven't done much with decorating or making it feel warm and inviting. Honestly, I don't even like it here and the lack of decoration really bothers me. (And I've always decorated our other homes.) I've just told myself that we will only be here a year, the kids will break whatever decorations are out, etc. Anyway, I plan to work on creating a warm, inviting home. Staying on top of the cleaning, etc.
Looking fwd. ch.2 and also discussing these things with hubby.

Melody

This "helping" part has been something that I have struggled with for quite some time. I've always put our children first, then helping others, then my husband. I always thought "he's a big boy, he can take care of himself." What a sad state to be in. This thinking rarely got either one of our needs met.

By the time I was ready to meet his needs, I did not feel like mine were met. We were so close to divorce, then a huge tragedy struck. It is not okay to wait until something bad happens to realize how much you love, and want to show your love.

Shalana explains it well with moving all the time (must be military :) ). Why decorate if you are only going to be here one, two, or three years. We are living in a hotel righ now, but my focus is on keeping it nice for us, until our house is ready.

Also, I am cutting down on so much volunteering. Then my new focus is a love for my home, and my family. No more excuses.

Freakaflutter

I was struck by the question "does this help my Husband?" So often things are about me and how I come across to others. Often this has set me up for dissappointment and hurts the time I should be investing in my family. I found interesting the fact that our femininity does come from God by design and not by our environment but that it can enhanced or diminished by how we use it. I had never thought of it from that perspective before.
In the past I have dealt with the "What do I want to be when I grow up?" Question and even though I have decided to stay home, I have felt as though I wasnn't contributing enough to my family. It is refreshing to know that I am taking baby steps to do the job I have been designed to do.
I love the book so far. Thank you Angelina for having the courage to share this with others.

Post a Comment