CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Money Matters


As I wrapped up my quiet time in 1st Timothy the book ended with instructions about money. Something that I must admit I have been focused on recently. Life changes that are in our future present us with financial changes and so I have been thinking a lot about spending money, paying debts and having the freedom to not go to work until the kids are older. Right now – although I am afforded the luxury of being a stay at home mom, finances are always tight and debts only get paid down when bulk money comes in (tax returns and this new stimulus package payment). So the Lord is teaching me to live responsibly with money and be content with what I have.


"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Tim 6:6-10 (my emphasis added)


It is so counterculture to say, "I'm content and want for nothing!" It is not a sin to want, but for me I have been spending a little too much time wanting, and that is what I feel has been sinful.


Verses 17-19 summed up the money issue well, that it is not to be our focus but instead to spend time acquiring spiritual wealth:


"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of life that is truly life."


While I am by no means rich in American society all I have to do is look at other nations around the world and in comparison see that I live like a king. I have my every NEED met and many of my wants. The Lord has truly provided richly everything for my enjoyment. I feel so blessed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment