CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 3, 2010

Fluffy Wheat Sandwich Bread



Ok. I have been trying to find a wheat bread recipe that is as fluffy as store bought bread and I FINALLY hit the jackpot with this recipe! After making my own bread for 2 years at least once a week I have tried no less than 20 recipes and this is by far the best in taste and texture!


Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast (bread machine yeast)

Instructions:
1. Put all ingredients into bread maker and use dough cycle.

2. Turn out on counter and punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. (I do this by lightly rolling back and forth until length of pan). Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes. (I turn on the oven and set on top while it is preheating).

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.

4. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth.

5. I store bread in a plastic bread bag (I have Wal-mart brand but I know Presto makes some too). This bread kept the longest of any bread I have ever made. It was still fresh nearly a week later - which is an eternity for homemade bread. I am not sure if it was the bread itself or the bag that helped preserve the freshness, regardless it is yummy.

***This recipe is for a 7x3 loaf pan and in MY EXPERIENCE is too small. This recipe was taken from Tammy's Recipes and she has some AMAZING tips on her site. One thing she discussed was bread pan size, I didn't realize that was why my bread wasn't turning out pretty. I like to have a puffy top on my loaf - similar to store bought so I adjusted the amount used in this recipe and made 1 1/4 times the recipe listed above for my 9x5 pan.***

2 comments:

Angel

Finally tried this yesterday! I used 2 cups wheat and 1 cup white, but Peter and the children seem to really like it.

challmeyeralways

Oh, I am excited about trying this. Thank you for the recipe :-)

Post a Comment