CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cloth Diapering

I'm no expert, actually I'm in my first few weeks of switching to cloth diapers. One thing I have learned is that it is INCREDIBLY easy, so much more so than I had expected. Had I known that it was this easy and INEXPENSIVE - I certainly would have done it with all my children.

Why did I switch when M is nearly 2? MONEY! I bought second hand cloth diapers (my husband thought it seemed icky but they arrived in PERFECT condition), and inserts and spent a total $97 with shipping. On a friend's suggestion we bought Fuzzi Bunz brand. They are awesome, easy to use and clean. I started making homemade wipes over a year ago and that has saved us on average $30 a month, especially when I still had two in diapers. Now, on average, I was spending $40 every 3 weeks on diapers for M. So after 2 1/2 months I will be no worse off financially than when I started and after that I am saving money. Granted I don't know how much longer M will need to be in diapers since he is 22 months, but even if it just for 6 more months - I have stilled saved.


The first thing I noticed when I put M's first new diaper on was that they are so soft. The first night we put him back into a disposable because we did not have the correct size inserts yet and didn't want him to wet through. After a day of cloth diapers the old ones were so abrasive feeling in comparison. My husband told me that he supported the switch but if I did it he would never change another diaper because it was just gross. After a week of watching me change diapers he realized it was not a big deal and offered to help again. To me, if a man is willing to do it that says a lot about the simplicity of it!


Anyway - all this was to say that over at Simple Mom they are starting a series introducing the option of cloth diapering and why it is an option you too might want to consider. So if you are interested go check it out!

4 comments:

Brooke

I've actually been considering switching to cloth. I have a good friend in Washington who can make them and thought about asking her what she would charge me. Right now, we still have like 5 pkgs of diapers left from Jonyn's shower. I keep thinking about how much it's going to cost us per week to diaper that baby when we use up what we have and it makes me a little nervous. Thanks for posting this!

challmeyeralways

Wow! I had read Angel's blogs several times thinking that I would have loved to have done this with mine, but it is too late... M is only a little bit younger than Jer... Maybe I should look into it afterall... Except I just stocked up on Costco's disposable ones... Well, I will look into it at least. Thanks for the update.

Amber M.

So where did you order them second hand from? I've googled it and there are a bizillion places that have them.

About Me

I bought mine on ebay. I made sure there were photos and that they said that they were stain free. They were in excellent condition when they arrived. If you are wanting to buy some I can give you a link for buying inserts, but you can buy those second hand as well.

Post a Comment