CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Learning to Sew

I am eager to learn how to sew better. When I was a young girl, maybe 6, my mom would take me to sewing lessons. I learned on a machine pretty young. I didn't do it for very long and then never tried to pick it up again until a couple of years ago.

Sewing is also a skill I would love to be able to pass on to my little girl. Overly ambitious, I handed J a large needle, thread, a fold piece of fabric and gave her instruction. That was WAY too complicated for my poor girl. She was very frustrated and gave up. Not what I wanted. I want her to learn to love it the way I do. So a new approach was needed.

This time I started much simpler. I took foam board, cut it into a heart, and poked holes around it. I handed her yarn and showed her how to weave it in the front and bring it around from the back. She was THRILLED. She sat content on the sofa next me, in her dress up clothes and a huge grin on her face, working steadily. She kept repeating, "I can sew now!" and giggling. That was what I wanted.

I need to remind myself.. little steps, little hands, little hearts. I don't want to overwhelm and discourage. I want to guide and encourage.






1 comments:

Angel

I just bought Abigail plastic canvas, and a plastic needle. She was not ready for that yet, she kept tangling up the thread, but it may be a good next step for you. Use embroidery floss as the thread.

Post a Comment