CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A New Start (part 2)

Where to begin in my endeavor to recommit – at the beginning. There has been a gradual priority shift in my life and a restructuring was long overdue.

So in order to start making the corrections necessary I had to get down on my knees and ask the Lord for his help and guidance. I have to daily submit to him and release my desires and my will and strive towards aligning my heart with God's. That means spending TIME in the word. Not just reading to say it has been done, like another check on my to-do list, but for growth. To spend time discerning what God wants to say to me through his word, to be still and to listen. Also, spending time in prayer. So often my prayers go something like this, "Lord, thank you for this day and all I have. Help me to be more like you. Help me to serve you and seek you in all I do. In Jesus name, Amen." Now there is nothing wrong with that if it wasn't what the extent of my prayer life had become, but sadly it had – and usually as I was drifting off to sleep.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

Words cannot express the impact that having that continual dialogue with the Lord can do to help change my heart and my perspective. Leading me to the second part of my transformation, submission and service to my husband and my children. I had been practicing this whole heartedly at the beginning of the year. But honestly the outcome I had expected did not IMMEDIATELY take place and I lost heart. In my efforts to speak softly to my husband, anticipate his needs (thirsty, hungry, tired) and act on them, allow his answer to stand without argument, things along those lines – I had hoped to win my husband over and motivate him to deepen his walk with the Lord. In the beginning these sincere changes in my mindset and attitude led to peace and happiness in our homes (surprisingly with no bitterness from me). I stopped asking him to pick up after himself, stopped asking him to do things and you know what happened? He started doing them without being asked! He started taking the initiative to help on his own because he wanted to help me. Eventually the new behaviors of mine became expected and caused friction if I didn't live up to them at all times. I know now that this was Satan trying to discourage me because it was working and I needed to push through. But slowly though I gave up.

So – back to what worked. Knowing full well that Satan will try to sabotage my good efforts, and to anticipate and prepare for that.

"Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives." 1 Peter 3:1-2

Next on the list, my children. They have been severely lacking discipline and correction and positive attention. I have not been consistent with them and had been paying for it. Now I am prayerfully moving things in the right direction, with the full support and help of Jeff. We are putting practice "tomato staking" and it has made an amazing difference in my children in a matter of a few days. I look forward to seeing it through.

"Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death." Proverbs 19:18

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." Titus 2:3-5

That's all for now. I believe I might need to conclude with a part 3 soon. J

1 comments:

Emily

thanks for your thoughts and your honesty. i think of the verse in galations 6 "do not grow weary of doing good, but at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up." i miss hanging out with you and talking to you!

Post a Comment